Hi! My name is Julie Dillon, and I'm a freelance artist from Northern California. I've been drawing most of my life, but I officially kicked off my professional career in 2006 and have been working steadily since then to keep learning, growing, and challenging myself artistically. I love finding the magic in the world around me, and try to use bold color and fantastical narratives to express that. In my free time, I enjoy hiking and exploring nature, making pottery, and volunteering at a local equine rescue.
I received my BFA in Fine Arts from Sacramento State University in 2005, with continued education at the Academy of Arts University in San Francisco and Watts Atelier.
- Simon & Schuster
- Tor Books
- Penguin Books
- Llewellyn Worldwide
- Popular Science Magazine
- Subterranean Press
- Angry Robot Books
- Oxford University Press
- Wizards of the Coast
- Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
- Paizo Publishing
Awards and Honors:
- 2017 Hugo Award for Best Professional Artist
- 2017 Chesley Award for "At Galaxy's Edge" for "Best Paperback Illustration"
- 2017 Locus Award for Best Artist
- 2016 British Fantasy Award for Best Artist
- 2016 Alfie Award for Best Artist
- 2016 Locus Award for "Best Art Book" for "Imagined Realms Book 2: Earth and Sky"
- 2015 Hugo Award Winner for Best Professional Artist
- 2015 Chesley Award Winner for "Beneath the Surface" in Best Hardcover Illustration (published in "Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology" edited by Brandon Sanderson; Dragonsteel Entertainment, June 2014)
- 2015 Chesley Award Winner for "Diver's Haul" in Best Magazine Illustration (published in Analog Magazine, April 2014)
- 2015 Winner of Best Color 2D Art at Sasquan (WorldCon 73)
- 2015 Winner of Best in Show at NorWesCon Art show
- 2014 Hugo Award Winner for Best Professional Artist
- 2013 Hugo Award Nominee for Best Professional Artist
- 2013 Art Show Winner at LoneStarCon (WorldCon 71)
- 2012 and 2014 World Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Artist
- 2011 Chesley Award Winner for "The Dala Horse" in Best Interior Illustration Art.
- Winner of Best Color Work, Best Artist, and Best in Show at ArmadilloCon Art Show.
- 2010 Chesley Award Winner for “Planetary Alignment” in Best Unpublished Color, and 2010 Chesley Nominee for “Honeycomb” in Best Magazine Art.
- Included in Spectrum 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 23.